Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Following in my sister's foot steps...

Pamajo Tunaweza means "together we can" in Swahili. It was the theme of our project in Tanzania last summer and I thought it was very fitting for this trip as well.

As you can tell, I am following in my sister's foot steps...again. Not only with the blog, but with the idea of committing my life to something greater. While the something greater may be different for each of us, at the end of the day, we have the same goal: to make our lives mean something to someone. Now, unfortunately, I am not as funny as Neely and will not have as many inspiring and jaw dropping tales, but I hope that this blog does inspire you to go out and fight for whatever your something greater is.

My something greater is Jesus Christ. I have become a believer in the past year and ever since I have decided to surrender to the Lord, my life has taken a 180 degree turn and I have been put on the fast track in my walk with Christ. While it took me almost 21 years to surrender my life and heart, once I did, that was it. There has been no second guessing, no questioning, and absolutely no doubt. I know what I live for and as Jesus describes in John 17:3, my purpose is to know God and His one and only Son, Jesus Christ.

Now that you know a bit about where I am in my life, I have to tell you where I am going. I am going to Kenya this summer to spend time there as well as Uganda to do 5 weeks of a Christian adventure camp and then using the other 5 weeks to share the Gospel, work in orphanages, mentor Kenyan youth, and serve in any way that I can. I am doing this all with the intention of getting my feet wet in order to return with the same organization for long term missions. I also plan on attending Reofrmed Theological Seminary in the fall, but I'm gonna take all this one step at a time!


So now I know you are wondering about finances. Here is my answer- My Lord will provide. I know that all of this is crazy to a lot of you, but I cannot and will not ignore God's calling. While the finances will be a burden ( I need over $4,000 by May), I also know that money is a worldly object and God counts costs in lives not in cash. Having said this and to explain myself a bit better, when God chose to send me, He did not say "I'm sorry this will cost you a lot of money." Instead he said, "This will change many lives."

So what am I doing to help myself financially?

I always find myself frustrated with missionaries that ask and ask and ask but never contribute themselves, so I vow to not be that person. I have several things lined up in order to contribute to my financial situation:

1. I am having a VERY large "garage sale" and selling basically everything I own
2. I get 2 paychecks a month- one of those is going directly to my missions/seminary fund

Having said ALLLLL of this here is my last bit. I need your help. First and foremost, I need your prayer and I need lots of it. I need prayer for my safety, for my ability to follow Christ, and for my finances. Secondly, I need help financially. I am asking for these two things from family, friends, and my church, Seven Hills Fellowship. I truly believe that if I have the help from The Lord and all of you I can raise this money fast.

I invite you to continue reading my blog while I tell you how the Lord is providing and how He is preparing my heart for this journey. I also encourage you to contact me with any questions about my testimony or future plans!

Isaiah 6:8
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

1 comment:

  1. Leah! I am so very proud of you and I know God is going to do great things in your life- going back to Africa is just going to be one of them! Would you mind if I put up a link on my blog to this page and wrote a little bit about your plans? I would love to get the word out. Also, send me a message on facebook with your address at Berry and Zach and I will send you a little something. We don't have much, but every little bit will help. Love you!

    -Shawn

    ReplyDelete