Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Why are my sisters such good people and I'm such an asshole?"

That is the question my brother asked me when he found out I was going to Africa. I laughed out loud for a good 5 minutes, but then it got me wondering about the answer to that question. I thought about what my sister and I were doing when we were freshmen in college and it was not much different from what he is doing. He is an athlete that likes to have his fun and occasionally go to class. He is the carbon copy of me 3 years ago. He will do something great one day.

My favorite thing to think about is how much people have grown over the years. It is so much fun to be able to watch the growth of others and I have been lucky enough to have a lot of consist ant people in my life that I have seen grow. But even the ones that aren't in my life very long (like the multiple volleyball players I coach every summer), to growth is evident and beautiful.

I'm at the age now where I can look back at my teenage years and finally admit to my parents how right they were- about everything. They were right about those boys and they were right about how only trouble comes after dark. They were right about the importance of grades and insignificance of popularity. They were right about the skimpy clothes and push up bras. I can't really think of anything they told me that was just flat out wrong, but out of everything they told me, the thing that stuck with me all of these years is their emphasis on individuality. I am almost positive they regret it now (especially my father), but from the day I was born I was taught to be opinionated, curious, and most of all myself, no matter what and they allowed me to grow.

I made a promise to myself before I got involved with campus ministries and bible studies and applied to seminary. I promised myself that no matter what I was told or what people said about me, I wouldn't change who I was. I knew that I would have a lot of views that would change and there would be small things about me that would mature and refine, but I wanted to stay who I was and that was really hard. It is not everyday you meet a devout Christian with bleach blond hair, tattoos, and piercings, but that's me. And on top of all of that, I am loud and I speak my mind. I am painting a picture that is clearly opposite of what the typical Godly woman looks like. And that is me.

That is the beauty of our God. He has made us individuals so that we can learn a little bit about Him from each person we encounter. If all of us Christian women were the same, we would learn nothing. From the quiet, reserved woman we learn submission and from the outspoken, opinionated woman we learn passion. We need both of these things and both of these women in our world.

I went to Jackson for my RTS interview this past weekend. I was pretty scared because I knew that some people would have an issue with who I was and the way I presented myself, I was just hoping that they could see the good in all of that and most of all see that I have a heart for God. I was afraid everyone there would be a weirdo with no social skills and I was afraid that they would expect me to be the same way. I was terrified that I would have to change who I was to attend that school and I was not willing to do that. I, once again, made the promise to myself that I would not change. It worked. I was myself the entire time. I did not hide anything about my past, I was honest about my beliefs, and they loved it. The man that interviewed me told me I had a rare spunk and an extremely rare confidence in who I was that most Christian women struggle with. He laughed at my jokes and thought it was cool that I had a nose ring. He liked my tattoo and he liked that I laughed a little too loud. I was officially admitted to the Marriage and Family Counseling program less than 30 minutes after my interview. The director of admissions has been there for 15 years and has never seen anyone accepted that quickly. I was the first person admitted into the RTS class of 2012.

I take no credit for all of this. I have to give it all to the Holy Spirit because he made Himself known through me and it had nothing to do with me or anything I have ever done. How cool is it to think that he made himself so evident in me that they admitted me right away? To think that they saw Him so clearly that they didn't see the tattoos or the hair or the piercings. They saw God's light.

So, I will officially be attending Reformed Theological Seminary in the fall and I am so blessed to have this opportunity. I cannot wait to be challenged and challenge others. I am ready to go and show them a completely different type of Godly woman. I am ready to go and glorify my Father the best way I can.

"No two men are just alike. Every new life is a new thing under the sun; there has never been anything just like it before, never will be again. A young man ought to get that idea about himself; he should look for the single spark of individuality that makes him different from other folks, and develop that for all he is worth. Society and schools may try to iron it out of him; their tendency is to put it all in the same mold, but I say don’t let that spark be lost; it is your only real claim to importance.
- Henry Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment